Friday, October 8, 2010

To Slay a Jabberwocky...

               When the new “Alice in Wonderland” movie came out this past March I was excited to see it. I had always enjoyed the cartoon version and I was excited to a see a remake with real actors. Additionally, I knew that if Tim Burton was directing and Johnny Depp was acting, it had to be pretty good. I heard a mix of reviews—some saying it was great, some saying that it ruined the original. But, I decided to make a decision for myself.  However, after the film I was completely shocked. I know this is not intended to be a movie review, but my favorite thing about the plot of the film was how it was a continuation of the original story and not a remake of the original story.
               The use of female protagonist in “Alice in Wonderland” is quite different than in most films I have seen. While some employ women as the main role, usually their task fits the feminine roles they are expected to play. If there is a different type of problem in the movie that needs to be solved, usually a man will accompany her. However, in “Alice in Wonderland,” Alice is tasked with saving the White Queen and saving her friends. In order to do that, she must slay the jabberwocky with a sword. When it finally came time for her to slay the beast, I was sure that someone would come to her rescue. But, it never happened. She battled, fought, and won all on her own, wielding a sword larger than herself.
               The reason why this stuck out to me so much is because I was not used to this portrayal of females in films. She occupied a much more masculine role than is normally common for a woman. Traditionally in films women play the role of the love interest. There is some low-level conflict, but in the end there is always some kind of resolution. 

No comments:

Post a Comment