Friday, October 22, 2010

Lady Bits vs. Meat Banana

So, I was browsing YouTube looking for this particularly hilarious UbyKotex tampon commercial that I had seen because I was looking for something to write a blog post about. I found the advertisement, but I wasn't really moved or inspired to write about it. So I kept browsing. UbyKotex, the new line of panty-liners, pads, and tampons from Kotex has launched the "Break the Cycle" campaign. It is intended to do a couple of things. It seems intended to help women choose the tampons and pads that best fit their needs and avoid the products they don't need by resisting advertisements.

Here is a link to the video that I will focus on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHO4a5sQ2Gw&feature=related

I doubt it was ever aired on TV, but it touches on some really important concepts. How comfortable are people talking about the female body versus the male body, why, and in what ways do we see this embodied? The video says that 72% of women feel that society finds it easier to talk about penises than to talk about vaginas. Vaginas, especially vaginal care products, are somewhat taboo. Everyone knows that aisle in the drug store or grocery store that the tampons and pads belong in. Have you ever noticed how empty those aisles are? I think this probably has to do with a level of embarrassment. Not only do I personally feel embarrassed in the tampon aisle, but I also feel embarrassed purchasing these items--even if it is a female cashier! What's more, it's not just tampons; I feel uncomfortable purchasing my birth control every time I go up to the counter. Even as I am writing this right now, I feel like it is impolite to talk about it. The question is why? I think it goes beyond just being embarrassed about personal hygiene--I don't feel like this when I buy deodorant or toothpaste. You would think that with the extensive number of feminine care product commercials, people might be used to these conversations now. I guess not.

But to get back to the video. Women seemed to have little trouble identifying one image as a penis, but seemed to struggle and giggle more when viewing the image of what appeared to be a vagina. For example, one woman referred to the image that looked like a vagina as "down there" and "lady bits." When the first time she saw an image that looked like a penis she said "penis." (She then went on to call it a meat banana, but she identified the object with the proper name first). What this shows is that women are more comfortable talking about male sexuality than their own.

Now the question is--why? I would not expect this to be the case. Considering most partial or full nudity in movies or TV is female, I would expect people to be more comfortable, or at least equally as comfortable, with both organs. My thought is that perhaps it goes back to the idea of impoliteness/embarrassment. The traditional model of a heterosexual relationship would have it that the wife would provide sex to her husband upon his request, regardless of her desires. This model only perpetuated the double standard that is still apparent today--men are flirtatious, women are innocent. If men sleep around, they are experienced. If women sleep around, they are sluts. If men don't wear condoms, they are true men. If women don't use protection, they are dirty. If men ejaculate, the sex is over. If women orgasm...IF women orgasm. So my point is that women are supposed to be ashamed of their sexuality. They are supposed to be sexual deviants that are willing to do anything a man asks, but they are supposed to be the innocent virgin, too. Therefore, talking about their reproductive genitalia is in essence talking about their sexuality which makes many people, including women, uncomfortable.

I want to hear feedback on this video specifically, if you all get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment