Sunday, September 26, 2010

Project Proposal

Project Proposal
           
            Throughout my research, I will analyze texts to determine how they shape society’s views of gender in the United States. To come to a conclusion, I will analyze a variety of different types of texts. First, I will examine the way that print advertising portrays both genders and their specified roles. Here I will draw from magazine and newspaper advertisements. Second, I will explore the relationship between film and gender. Next, I will determine the influence of music on the construction of gender. Finally, I will draw connections between all of the mediums to form a concise opinion as to the role of mass media in shaping gender identities and gender roles.
            In addition to determining the role of the media in determination gender construction, I will also pay close attention to the short and long-term effects of this relationship. Does it promote healthy or unhealthy stereotypes? Are these stereotypes generally true? Does it harm an individual’s ability to create their own identity? These are the types of questions I will be looking to answer in my research and critical analysis.
            To fully understand the true effect that socialization has on our lives, we must understand how even the most seemingly insignificant details can strongly influence how we view ourselves and other people. While examining these small details, I intend to focus in on several key areas: special organization and layout, color scheme and mood, and language. All of these are subtle, yet important, factors that can have an effect on how we view advertisements, consciously or subconsciously.
            Finally, I will use the knowledge and research about the topic that I have gathered to come to a final conclusion and decide if: a) a problem exists, b) the problem is significant, c) the problem affects most groups of people, and d) can we/should we do something to redress whatever injustice has occurred. This last part is crucial; while understand and analyzing the social construction of gender identity by the media is useful in and of itself, what becomes essentially is what citizens do with the information once they have it. I will research and review different theories and approaches that seek to combat this problem in the United States. 

No comments:

Post a Comment